Friday, January 20, 2017

Acclimated


We keep our thermostat set at 64 degrees during the day in the winter. But this house is so well-insulated and open that when I cook a lot, the heat from the kitchen increases the overall temperature of the house significantly. Also, there are a lot of west-facing windows in the upstairs living room, so when it's sunny, there's quite a bit of solar heating, too.

This morning I had the oven at 415 degrees for about an hour to bake bread and roast squash. At the same time, I was simmering both chili and pizza sauce. Then the sun came out.

It is now 71 degrees in my house. Seventy-one degrees! I had to take off my flannel shirt* and get some cold seltzer, because I was feeling very overheated.

Obviously, I live in the right place.

* Don't worry: I had a long-sleeved t-shirt underneath. I'm not going to become a semi-nudist or anything.

1 comment:

tu mere said...

Ah, the temperature at which your dad always sets the thermostats when he gets up in the AM. I, on the other hand, get to choose 73 as my setting, and we still walk around in two layers. See, all you have to do is wait until you get old and you'll never be hot again.